One of the most reliable ways to check your available contribution room is to log in or register for an online account with the Canadian Revenue Agency. Alternatively, you can also check your latest notice of assessment for your RRSP contribution room.
If you're having trouble finding your contribution room with your CRA login, here's a step by step instructions (with screenshots!) to guide you:
- Go to the CRA My Account Login.
- Log in with your preferred method. If you've set up your bank as a sign-in partner, this is the simplest way to access your CRA account.
- Under the tabbed header, navigate to Tax Returns. Screenshot
- Click View returns and Notices of Assessment and Reassessment. Screenshot
- Open your most recent Notice of assessment and scroll to the bottom. Screenshot
- Your contribution room is the last number in the RRSP/PRPP deduction limit statement section. Screenshot
Note that your available contribution room for the current year may be different from your deduction limit if you have made contributions in previous years and have not deducted them from your taxable income.
To learn more about RRSPs click here to view the CRA's webpage on RRSPs.