In this article, you'll learn about the following:
- Eligibility criteria for buying or selling stocks, ETFs, and select cryptocurrencies in a self-directed trading account.
- How to search for a specific stock or ETF
- The eligibility criteria for stocks to be supported by Wealthsimple
- How to request a new stock or ETF
Search for a stock or ETF
To search for a specific stock or ETF, follow the instructions below:
- Log into my.wealthsimple.com and sign in to your Stocks, ETFs & Crypto profile
- Next to the magnifying glass icon at the top of the page, type in the name or the symbol of the security you'd like to search for
- Sign into the Wealthsimple app on your mobile device
- Tap the Discover tab (Search icon) at the bottom of the screen
- Type in the name or the symbol of the security you'd like to search for
A stock or ETF must meet our eligibility criteria to become available for trading.
When you search for an asset that is unavailable to trade, you'll see a brief message explaining why. Some of the reasons are as follows –
The security type is not supported
We only support stocks and ETFs in self-directed trading accounts. We don't support any other assets in self-directed trading accounts, including:
- Mutual Funds
- Preferred Shares
- Securities that trade Over-the-counter (OTC)
- Forwards & Futures
- Rights and Warrants
- Investment Savings Accounts & Money Markets
- Stocks & ETFs that trade on non-North American exchanges
This security isn’t listed on a supported exchange
You can trade stocks and ETFs on the following exchanges:
- Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX)
- TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV)
- New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
- Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE)
- BATS Exchange
If the security you're looking for is listed on another exchange or is traded over-the-counter (OTC) you will not be able to purchase it. If the security is listed on both a US exchange and a Canadian exchange, we will only support the security listed on the Canadian exchange.
This security may not meet our settlement or average daily trading volume requirements
We only allow securities to be traded that settle with the Canadian Depository for Securities (CDS). We also impose minimum price and volume constraints for stocks traded on the platform.
The security is delisted, suspended, or halted
In most cases, orders can’t be submitted for securities that are delisted or suspended. Orders can be submitted for securities that are halted, however, they will not fill until trading resumes.
If you own a delisted stock or ETF within your self-directed trading account, you have the following two options:
- Continue holding the shares in your account with the hope that the security eventually gets re-listed.
- Sell your shares by submitting a limit order for the security that has been delisted. Follow the steps in this article to learn how to place a limit order.
Request a new stock or ETF
If you'd like to request a stock or ETF that's not currently available through Wealthsimple, you can add it to the feedback survey below. Please note that requesting a stock or ETF doesn't guarantee we'll be able to make it available to trade.