You may designate a successor holder and or beneficiary for your self-directed, registered account(s). This includes TFSA and RRSP account types.
To designate any of the above, begin by downloading the form (available at the bottom of this article) and filling it out.
When filling out the form, please ensure the following:
- Please include your complete registered account number. This will start with an "H" and end in "CAD" or “USD”. Instructions on how to locate your account number can be found here.
- When filling out an address, please include the city, province, and postal code.
- Please ensure you provide a wet signature on the document. This will require you to print, sign, and scan the document before uploading it for our team to process.
- If designating a successor holder to the applicable registered account, please ensure you include your spouse or common-law partner’s SIN.
Once you are ready to complete the process of adding a beneficiary and/or successor holder to your account(s), submit a request to our support team. You can attach your beneficiary form(s) directly to the request or ask our support team for a secure upload link.
If using an upload link, let our support team know once you have uploaded your form(s) and the information will soon be added to your account.
- You cannot designate a beneficiary for a non-registered account.
- If your registered account was transferred over to Wealthsimple from another financial institution, it will require a fresh designation of beneficiaries.
Residents of Quebec
The provincial government of Quebec does not allow the designation of beneficiaries through financial institutions. Instead, if you are a resident of Quebec, your beneficiaries must be assigned through a will.