You may designate a successor holder and or beneficiary for your self-directed, registered account(s). This includes TFSA and RRSP account types.
To designate any of the above, begin by downloading the form (available at the bottom of this article) and filling it out.
When filling out the form, please ensure the following:
- Please include your complete registered account number. This will start with an "H" and end in "CAD" or “USD”. Instructions on how to locate your account number can be found here.
- When filling out an address, please include the city, province, and postal code.
- Please ensure you provide a wet signature on the document. This will require you to print, sign, and scan the document before uploading it for our team to process.
- If designating a successor holder to the applicable registered account, please ensure you include your spouse or common-law partner’s SIN.
Uploading your beneficiary form(s) to your Wealthsimple profile
Once you are ready to complete the process of adding a beneficiary and/or successor holder to your account(s), please upload your completed beneficiary form(s) to your profile by following the steps below. You can also ask our support team for a secure upload link.
- Log into my.wealthsimple.com via desktop and sign in to your profile
- Click on your name in the top-right corner of your account
- Select My Documents from the dropdown menu
- At the top right of the My Documents page, click on Upload Documents
- Drag/drop or upload your document right from your computer
Once that is uploaded, submit a request to our support team and we will process your request to add the information to your account.
- You cannot designate a beneficiary for a non-registered account.
- If your registered account was transferred over to Wealthsimple from another financial institution, it will require a fresh designation of beneficiaries.
Residents of Quebec
The provincial government of Quebec does not allow the designation of beneficiaries through financial institutions. Instead, if you are a resident of Quebec, your beneficiaries must be assigned through a will.
Article is closed for comments.