You may designate a successor holder for your TFSA or a beneficiary for your TFSA and/or RRSP accounts in your self-directed trading accounts. You may also designate contingent beneficiaries for each of these account types.
To designate any of the above, begin by downloading the correct blank form (available at the bottom of this article) and filling it out.
When filling out the form, please ensure the following:
- Please include your complete TFSA or RRSP account number. This will start with an "H" and end in "CAD". Instructions on how to locate your account number can be found here.
- When filling out an address, please include the city, province, and postal code.
- Please ensure you provide a wet signature on the document. This will require you to print, sign, and scan the document before uploading it for our team to process.
- If designating a successor holder to your TFSA, please ensure you include their SIN.
Once you are ready to complete the process of adding a beneficiary or successor holder to your account(s), submit a request to our support team. Our support team will then provide you with a secure upload link to upload your completed beneficiary form. Once uploaded, let our support team know and the information will soon be added to your account.
- You cannot designate a beneficiary for a non-registered account.
- If you wish to designate a beneficiary for both your self-directed trading TFSA and RRSP, you'll need to fill out both forms.
Residents of Quebec
The provincial government of Quebec does not allow the designation of beneficiaries through financial institutions. Instead, if you are a resident of Quebec, your beneficiaries must be assigned through a will.