Wealthsimple Crypto is a simple and secure way to buy and sell cryptocurrencies through a personal (non-registered) account.
- You can buy or sell two different cryptocurrencies in Wealthsimple Crypto: Ethereum and Bitcoin.
- You can use cash in your account to buy crypto assets – the same way you buy a stock or ETF.
- Any cryptocurrency you buy is held by Gemini Custody, a regulated crypto custodian. Gemini is regularly audited and subject to the compliance standards of a traditional financial institution.
Get started with Crypto
You can access Wealthsimple Crypto through the Wealthsimple Trade mobile app, or by selecting Trade & Crypto when logging into my.wealthsimple.com. To get started –
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between Wealthsimple Trade and other Wealthsimple products?
- Wealthsimple Invest is an automated investing service that manages your investments for you using a personalized portfolio of low-fee exchange-traded funds
- Wealthsimple Cash is a peer-to-peer payment platform for instantly sending money to friends and family
- Wealthsimple Trade is a self-directed investment platform. You can buy and sell thousands of stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) on major Canadian and U.S. exchanges.
- Wealthsimple Tax is an easy way to file your tax return online
Can I hold crypto in a TFSA or RRSP?
It's not currently possible to hold cryptocurrency in a registered account like an RRSP or TFSA. This is a restriction created by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA).
What entity operates Wealthsimple Crypto?
Wealthsimple Crypto is offered by Wealthsimple Digital Assets Inc.
Wealthsimple Digital Assets enables you to use your own cash to purchase a crypto asset, and then custodies that crypto-asset for you. Crypto assets are owned by you from the time of purchase until the time of sale. Crypto assets owned by you may not be pledged, re-hypothecated or otherwise used in the business of Wealthsimple Digital Assets or its affiliates.
Wealthsimple Digital Assets does not operate a marketplace nor does it engage in proprietary trading or market making, and will not take any long or short positions on crypto assets. Wealthsimple Digital Assets does not have any authority to act on a discretionary basis on your behalf.