To transfer funds from you or your spouse’s spousal RRSP, RRSP, spousal RRIF or RRIF following a divorce or common-law partnership breakdown, you will need to follow two steps.
Step 1: Contact our support team
To request a transfer, we'd ask you to contact our support team and provide the information below. This information helps us verify that the forms you fill out in step two match the transfer you'd like to make.
- The account type and its owner that you are moving money from (i.e. from your personal RRSP, a spousal RRSP, your ex-spouse’s personal RRSP, etc.)
- The account type and its owner that you are moving money to (i.e. to your personal RRSP, a spousal RRSP, your ex-spouse’s personal RRSP etc.)
- Whether your account is managed by Wealthsimple or a self-directed trading account.
- Whether or not you are able to get your ex-spouse or ex-common-law partner’s signature on the documentation sent to you. If you are unable to get your ex-spouse or ex-common-law partner’s signature, an additional letter explaining why will be required. We will provide more details when you reach out if necessary.
Step 2: Provide supporting documents
Our team will ask you to provide supporting documentation for the transfer. We'll ask you to send us the following:
- A complete copy of your separation agreement. (We can't accept a photo or scan that only shows the signature page.)
- A complete T2220 form. This form requires information from yourself and your ex-spouse. Please ensure that you fill out the document that our team provides, and not the one from the government's website. The form we send will be pre-filled and will help make the transfer smoother.