You can add a beneficiary to any registered account. The designation of funds for non-registered accounts can only be done so through a will.
- Head to my.wealthsimple.com and sign in to your Invest account
- Select your name in the top right-hand corner of the website
- Choose Settings from the drop-down menu
- Navigate to the Beneficiaries tab
- Scroll to your desired account, and select Add beneficiaries
- You will be prompted to download, fill out, and upload the beneficiary form
- Once the form has been uploaded, select Got it and your beneficiary form will be submitted
Note: All beneficiary forms require an ink signature in order to be acceptable.
Residents of Ontario
If you are a resident of Ontario, and you are looking to add a beneficiary to an RRSP or TFSA, this process looks a little different. When you navigate to the Add beneficiaries section, you will instead be prompted to fill out your beneficiary information directly through the user interface. In this case, an ink signature is not required.
Residents of Quebec
The provincial government of Quebec does not allow the designation of beneficiaries through financial institutions. Instead, if you are a resident of Quebec, your beneficiaries must be assigned through a will.