We take account security very seriously at Wealthsimple. If you believe that your Wealthsimple account has been compromised, you need to get in contact with our support team immediately.
Signs of a compromised account
Below we have listed the most common signs of a compromised account:
- You receive login notifications that are not actioned by you
- You notice login events from devices that do not belong to you, or from new locations
- You are unable to log into your account with your original login credentials
- You are unable to receive emails from Wealthsimple (this could indicate that the bad actor has access to your email account and has muted incoming emails from Wealthsimple)
- You see unauthorized transactions on your bank statement
If you contact us over email, please choose the Security and Logins option and provide us with an explanation of why you believe your account has been compromised. Our team will then secure your account by temporarily disabling it and refer your account to our security team for further review.
What to do if your account has been compromised
Below are additional steps you can take to ensure your personal accounts and information stay protected.
Protect your email account
Your email address is used to access your Wealthsimple account. It is important to secure your email account to prevent further unauthorized transactions.
- If you are able to log in to your email account: Update your password and two-step verification (2FA).
- If you are unable to log in to your email account: Contact your email provider immediately to update your password or disable your account.
Protect your bank account
Update your login credentials and 2FA for all bank accounts linked to your Wealthsimple profile. If you believe your bank account has been compromised and notice unauthorized transactions, we suggest contacting your bank immediately.
Protect your identity
Personal information including your legal name, SIN, address, email, phone number, and portfolio holdings may have been compromised if a bad actor manages to log into your Wealthsimple account.
If you believe your identity was compromised, please file a police report immediately with your local police. The authorities, in turn, can provide a case number to you and work with the financial institutions to gather more information.
Below are some additional resources to help protect your identity:
Recovering your account
Once the security investigation is complete on our end, a member of our team will reach out to you with the next steps to help you recover your Wealthsimple account.
Once you gain access to your Wealthsimple account, it’s important that you update your password and 2FA method.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team.